Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have three (3) Shih tzu dogs all over 3 years of age. this

Customer Question

I have three (3) Shih tzu dogs all over 3 years of age. this past year the male dogs which would count for 2 of the three have developed sores, or I guess they are referred to as lesions on the back of their neck and top of head areas. I thought that perhaps they got under our deck and hit their heads. they didn't have them at the same time at first, so when the one got the sore and I initially thought the "bumping" of his head. then the other one got one, not in the exact area but similar I thought the same thing. So we boarded up around the deck where we thought they were getting into. it isn't a wide sore, on either. I have bathed them and also clipped the hair and put antibiotic cream on the sores. they get better so I thought that my conclusion was right. Now they are licking at their paws, one has the dermatitis on his back. what are your thoughts? Thank you for your help. These are our children anything you can do or suggest would be great. Money is a factor, but I will do what needs to be done.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Can you describe these lesions?

Are they soft or hard to the touch?

Are they smooth or bumpy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lisa, the lesions are small crusty, feeling same. the one on my dog Cooper (I listed Buddy's name on the questionaire) with which I recently cleansed and clipped around to remove excess hair then added a neosporin type cream (human strength) is clearing up. now I have bathed them with canine oatmeal shampoo which helps alleviate some itching. for a little while.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

And are these dogs littermates by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not littermates. Buddy & Jasmine are the parents to Cooper. Jasmine has had three litters in the past. she doesn't seem to have any sores. And I really haven't noticed any ever on her. this is why I thought that they "bumped" (for lack of a better term) their heads.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jamine is approximately 8 years old, Buddy, 7 years and cooper 5 years
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It's hard to say exactly what is causing these sores, but the fact that they seem to clear up with the Neosporin makes me think that we're dealing with a little bacterial infection.

That being said...it's possible that if the dogs wrestle, they could be giving each other little lacerations with their teeth, or it is possible that it's from scratching.

If this were me, I'd keep going with the Neosporin that you're using. If they spread, or if you notice that Jasmine starts developing them, then it will be time to have your vet take a peek, but I think it's just coincidental that both Cooper and Buddy have them.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more thing Lisa, having said what you did (which is what I was thinking) is this or could this be contagious to my husband and myself, seeing that Jasmine hasn't gotten anything I was hoping it wasn't but you never know, especially since I'VE BEEN ITCHY LATELY LOL maybe psychosomatic!! any home remedies that you know of that are "tried and true"? I've actually seen online that the shampoo Head and Shoulders would help which knowing this brand and what its for on humans makes sense, I've also heard that after a bath to rinse them with a combination of 1 part apple cider vinegar and 4 parts water any response to this?
,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also, what was the fee for this advice. I've signed up for the 7 day free trial, and then the $28 mo basic plan
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

It's probably psychosomatic....unless you're part Shih tzu yourself. : )

If this is dry skin (which it could be) you could try giving them a raw egg once a week. Or adding a little olive oil to their kibble once or twice a week.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa