Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I bred my dog on October 11th, unfortunately the stud was

Customer Question

Hi Nancy. I bred my dog on October 11th, unfortunately the stud was unavailable for repeat breeding. So today is day 47th we did the X ray and vet did not see any pups. She is a German Shepherd, medium built usually weight 73-75 lb, now she is 96 lb, her vulva and nipples are dark, eats like there is no tomorrow and sleeps most of the day. Last time she was pregnant, she showed the same signs exactly and we had 4 gorgeous pups. Is there a possibility that she is pregnant this time? Did I x-ray too early? Thank you in advance.
Alex.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello . Nancy is no longer here. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today.

On x rays you should be able to see pups on or about day 45. What you may be seeing in your dog is a false pregnancy which will show all the same symptoms of a normal pregnancy.

Information on pregnancy in dogs http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/keeping-your-dog-healthy/reproduction-breeding/pregnancy-in-dogs

False pregnancy in dogs http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/pseudocyesis-false-pregnancy-in-dogs

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

You may want to ensure during the next heat season that a dog be able to be brought to you on a daily basis through the second stage of heat or you may want to try artificial insemination as there are kits for that

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

there are videos on youtube to show you how to do this