Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog is a 6 year old yellow lab. He weighs about 110

Customer Question

Hi! My dog is a 6 year old yellow lab. He weighs about 110 pounds. We noticed yesterday that he is limping. His front right leg can't touch the floor. When we looked at his leg, the only thing that made him very unconfortable was when we moved his ankle. But I was reading that dogs don't have ankles on their front legs like humans. Anyways, I put an ice pad with a towel on his leg and he is resting. Can I give him any aspirin or other medicine? My concern is that it is black friday and his vet is closed today. Thank you so much!
-Ileana
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

He may have come down harder on that leg causing a soft tissue injury , you can give aspirin as long as he is not on any other anti inflammatory from your vet such as Rimadyl or Previcox etc.

Give the aspirin with food and do not use Tylenol or Ibuprofen type products. make sure it is pure aspirin only, Give with food and you may want to keep some pepcid AC on hand in case he shows signs of stomach upset from the aspirin. Aspirin should only be given for a couple of days , longer use can cause stomach ulcers. I would recommend a vet visit to get the proper anti inflammatory meds. Let your vet know you have given aspirin as other meds may have to wait to be given until the aspirin has left the body.

If you notice any other symptoms appear such as swelling or warmth to that area then do seek Vet care.

I hope this has been helpful to you and your experience here was a pleasant one. Please don't forget to rate the service before you leave so the company compensates me for my time

Aspirin dosing and side effects.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much aspirin should I give him?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the delay. A typical aspirin dose is 5 to 10 mg per pound (10 to 20 mg/kg) twice daily Read more at:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you. I will buy the aspirin and the pepcid AC!
Thank you!
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

you are very welcome. Link for pepcid : http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid