Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog has been very uncomfortable past few hours, ever time

Customer Question

My dog has been very uncomfortable for the past few hours, ever time he lays down he automatically grones and whines and then tries to bite his tail and work his way up to his bottom. He has become more irritable in the past 30 minutes, to the point where he won't even sit still for longer than a few minutes before his is back up and trying to bite his tail aggressively.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is there any swelling around the rectal area?

Is there any swelling on the actual tail itself?

Has your dog been scooting his rear on the floor?

Can you feel his tail for any abnormalities?

Has he been eating and drinking?

Has he defecated today?