Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is uncomfortable lying down. I have given her pepto

Customer Question

My dog is uncomfortable lying down. I have given her pepto because she's had an upset stomach and been trying to eat grass.
Neither of us are sleeping.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was notanswered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How much does Chili weigh?

Did she settle after the Pepto?

Has she had any appetite loss? Any change to her drinking?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chili weighs 5.5 lbs.
She did settle down for a few hours but she's up againGums are pinks/normal
She has not eaten since yesterday morning. She is not drinking water that I have seen, but I have tried her fur on the back of her neck and so far it's been ok.As I touch her belly it's firm not bloated, she is not tensing any more than what she is already.Could she have eaten something perhaps, but she's been inside and outside only with my watchful eye.She has had pancritis in the past, which I am aware how she acts, noisy stomach and the type of vomiting that goes with it. She is on I/D food.Last sidebar. We travel a lot. Last week we returned from Mexico, and she has been feeling funky in and off since. She was not eating I/D food there I ran out and it was not available. She did have portion control since she otherwise eats like a greyhound.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Since she didn't have her I/D recently, when was that? What was she fed instead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been eating i/d food since last Thursday. Her last meal was yesterday morning.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if she has been a bit off since last week's trip, has discomfort when laying on her belly and is eating grass (a nausea sign), I would be wary of this being related to a brewing low grade GI bug. That said, the signs do fit with a mild pancreatitis (not full blown), which is a risk depending on the fat content of the food she was on recently (which could be delayed in onset or coming to a head at this point).

So, we do need to trade with care for Chili. Now the Pepto dose you gave was reasonable for her size, but we don't tend to find it very effective for upper GI upset cases alone (it is better when we have diarrhea, and I have to note that it could cause constipation if she hasn't had loose stool). Instead, I would suggest treating with an antacid like:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and this can be given every 12 hours. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Once that is on board, we do want to try to get her eating. I/D is ideal but if we need to tempt her then rice with boiled chicken, white fish, low fat cottage cheese, or scrambled egg would be ok to offer. Whichever you choose, do so in small meals to avoid any further upset. And this can be continued until she is settled, when we'd then wean her back to her normal diet. And just to note, to encourage her to drink, you can add some low salt chicken broth or lactose free milk to her water to make it more palatable for her.

Overall, her signs do fit with a low grade pancreatitis lurking but also raise concerns of a GI bug that she could have picked up while away. In either case, I'd adjust your treatment with the above and encourage her to eat and drink to avoid energy/hydration complications. If she doesn't settle in the next 12-24 hours (Since she is small), then we'd want to have a check with her vet so that they can pinpoint which issue is lurking and start her on injectable treatment to get her settled and feeling like herself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )