Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Pink pee 10 month yorkie?

Customer Question

Pink pee 10 month yorkie ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Is your dog showing any other symptoms of any sort { no matter how minor } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She seemed like she was throwing up yesterday

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. This sounds like she might have blood in her urine, the commonest cause of blood in the urine of a female dog in your one's age group is a urinary tract infection { UTI } also called cystitis and it is possible the vomiting you saw yesterday fits in with this. This is a disease which is fairly frequently seen but is rarely too much cause for concern. Urinary tract infections in female dogs usually respond well to a course of antibiotics, but as these are prescription drugs then it may be best to get your vet involved and of course your vet will be able to confirm the diagnosis.

2. Alternatively if the above turns out to be the diagnosis then I am aware that lots of owners use cranberry juice as a home remedy for cystitis in the dog and there may well be something in this. You could either use human quality cranberry juice or there are remedies for sale in better pet stores which have cranberry as an active constituent. Another home remedy is vitamin C tablets which you would give on a pro rata dose rate basis between your dog's weight and the human dose, crush them if you have to. It would also be good to encourage your dog to drink as much as possible, say by giving her very dilute milk ...

2. However if symptoms continue for any length of time or you note any deterioration then you should have your dog checked over by your vet without delay.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dilute milk ? What kind
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I wait or take her to the vet ? Thank you Im so worried

Hello again,

Very glad to talk this over with you further.

1. Where a urinary tract infection is suspected in dogs it is often an advantage to get them to drink as much as possible to help flush out their bladder. Many dogs like milk but too much whole cows milk could cause a tummy upset, to prevent this just dilute down regular cows milk a bit, say one part milk to three parts water. But really it does not matter too much what you give her as long as it get her drinking.

2. Well going to your vet ASAP is certainly your best option but many owners in this sort of position might wait 24 hours to see how things go. If you are dealing with a cystitis then this is rarely a serious situation.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Yorkie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the blood in the urine ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.