Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog has been sick w throwing up and diarrhea. We took her

Customer Question

My dog has been sick w throwing up and diarrhea. We took her to a vet 500 the first go at it and treated her with antibiotics and probiotics and nausea medicine it helped she quit throwing up solid foods and just pukes a little if she does still eats but extremely picky. Took her to the vet again 300 and they still don't know what's wrong. Diarrhea has never really changed but yesterday night her head is like having spasms and she cant lift it has to eat side ways. I tried treating her myself w penicillin shots in the hip muscle but it won't go away and no this!!! I'm bout to have a break down. I'm gonna take her to the er cuz the other vet is just taking our money which we don't have and not giving us any answers
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Tabby Ann has not been feeling well.

When we have dogs that aren't improving despite supportive care, that's when we usually are going to want to get more aggressive with our diagnostics. It's reasonable to start a vomiting and diarrhea dog on supportive anti-nausea and anti-diarrhea medications, but if that's not helping, we need to move on to doing lab work to check all of their organs and red/white blood cell count, X-rays of that belly, and potentially an ultrasound. An ER is likely to be better equipped to do these more advanced diagnostics than a regular veterinarian, especially if they are staffed with critical care or internal medicine specialists. It also sounds like, since it's been going on so long, Tabby might need to be hospitalized with some IV fluid support until things calm down. Sometimes that's all that's needed - if all the diagnostics are clean, then it could still be a nasty stomach bug that needs more aggressive treatment.

What questions can I answer for you?

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)