petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I just collected my 8 year old spaniel from kennels after a

Customer Question

I just collected my 8 year old spaniel from kennels after a 6 week stay and she has a swollen abdomen but appears to be underweight( her spine is protruding)
She seems lively and is eating / toileting ok
What could be wrong?
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

I would question the kennel as to how she did with boarding as far as appetite, drinking, etc. If you had a up to date weight on her when she was admitted, I would weigh her now to see how it compares. Even if her weight is not that far off, it sounds as if she is experiencing muscle wasting at least along her spine. When this occurs, the spine become more prominent and the belly will sometimes look swollen or bloated. There are disease conditions that can lead to this, particularly on called Cushing's disease in which there is an overproduction of cortisone in the body, but I would start with a review of her food intake first as decreased calorie intake may also lead to these changes.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z