Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I just got a hair apple head Chihuahua and he was pretty

Customer Question

i just got a long hair apple head Chihuahua and he was pretty active the first two days but has become lethargic the last three day and spitting up. I have given him some honey to try to keep his sugar up but all he wants to do is sleep. His sister is acting great.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are 9 weeks old, took them home last Thursday from the breeder.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about Diego's situation. How long ago did he last "spit up" / vomit? When did this first start? How often is it happening?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He spit up about 10 times on Sunday. Nothing yesterday. Once this morning.
He is so tired all the time since Saturday.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for answering those questions. I'm going to be very honest here and say that his situation has me pretty concerned. With one so small as him, he doesn't have a lot of body reserves for hydration and for keeping up his blood glucose levels. Why is he having the spit up? My concern always with one so young and with these clinical signs are a possible parvo infection. My absolute best recommendation is to get him to your vet / the ER clinic for them to screen him for this. They can easily check a stool sample to see if he is positive or not. If he is, then treatment for it needs to be done. If it isn't, then they can evaluate him with blood work, screening stool for giardia, and see what that reveals. They can start up therapy for him which could involve anti-nausea medication and fluids to help support his body. In his situation, screening for parvo should be done. If he's positive, then that may be something that the breeder may be financially able to help out with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He already parvovirus shot.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Who gave the parvovirus shot and when?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have to double check the records but I believe 2 Sunday's ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

If these vaccines were given by the breeder, then could they have not been stored properly or given properly. Not that this has to happen, but it is a question that gets brought up. Even if the vaccine was given, given properly and even given by a veterinarian, it doesn't guarantee that protection from a parvo virus infection is 100%. I've seen cases at my ER where dogs fully vaccinated still got it. It isn't common, but it can happen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do for him till I get to the vet.
He takes the honey and drinks water.
He pees and and still has bm.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

All you can really do on an at home basis at this time is to let him rest, try to assist feed him, and to let him stay warm. I would try to get him to eat and drink every few hours to try and keep up his blood glucose levels. I would also consider separating him from his sister so he can rest better.