Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Dog is swallowing constantly

Customer Question

dog is swallowing constantly
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long has he been like this?

Any vomiting at all?

What kind of dog is he?

Is he eating/drinking normally?

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I am unable to do a phone call at this time...would you like me to opt out and see if another expert can pick it up?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am sorry no one was able to take your phone call. constant swallowing can be a sign of nausea , seizure activity ,

something stuck in the throat or irritation to the throat. Some breed of dogs , smaller breeds, can get collapsed trachea. If there is coughing involved then I would look at the trachea. Check the throat for anything that might be caught in there such as a awn. Use a flashlight to get a good look. If you don not see anything then what I would do is try fasting the dog for 24 hours and then give a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice as this will help with stomach upset.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

You can also give some pepcid AC to help settle the stomach. If it is persistent or has already gone on for days then it is suggested you have your vet do a physical exam. I would also recommend taking your cell phone and taping what is going on as sometimes these things do not show up at the vet office.

Dosing for pepcid AC http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid