Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My basset hound is shaking and won't move s back legs

Customer Question

My basset hound is shaking and won't move his back legs
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

What was he prescribed the metacam for?

How long has he been like this?

Has he had any accidents like falling or being struck or slipping?

has he been avoiding stairs or not jumping?

I apologize. I sent you a request for additional services in error. I meant to check and see if you still needed help. I suspect that your dog is having disc issues.

An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. You can read about this here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

Basset hounds are prone to disc issues and the pain of a slipped or ruptured disc will cause pain and trembling as well as possible paralyses depending on the degree of inflammation and injury.

If the metacam is not working you will need to resee your vet and discuss other options such as surgery if he is a good candidate for surgery. If you wish to answer my request for more information, I can see if that will affect my answer.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.