Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a one year old collie pointer mix. The side of s

Customer Question

Hi, I have a one year old collie pointer mix. The side of his muzzle next to his nose has become red as though he has a brush burn. He has been playing a lot with his dog buddy and I don't know if he has just rubbed it raw from all the playing. I have been treating it with chamomile tea, but it is not getting better. Our vet is out of he country just now. Can you help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Does he have any hair loss on the edges of the ears or around the eyes?

Is he on heartworm preventative? If so, what is the active ingredients in it?

How large of an area is affected?

Is the nose itself affected?

Does he seem to scratch it by rubbing it against things?