Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog is jittery/jumpy. Like it's a nervous tic happening

Customer Question

My dog is jittery/jumpy. Like it's a nervous tic happening uncontrollably. She's been dragging her bottom on the carpet lately. I don't know if they have to do with one another. Thought she might have worms so gave her some drops orally. But I am worried. Should I take her to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

If your dog is dragging their behind on the ground or carpet and their anus area has a bad odor and/or swollen, it can be symptoms of an anal gland problem. You will want to check to see if your dog's anus is swollen. This may cause a dog to continue to lick the area and often drag it.

The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions.Dogs often lick and drag their rear when the glands are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.

Excellent site on anal glands

http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

If no lump in area It could also be tapeworm infestation. Tapeworms release segments that exit the anus and spread tapeworm eggs into the environment. They can cause severe itching in some dogs. They can usually be seen in the stool and are small about 1/2 inch moving things. If the stool has dried, they look like rice in the stool or stuck in the hair around the anus. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Other types of dewormers should be checked to see if they are effective against tapeworms.

The last is allergic condition -- flea allergy being the most common allergy leading to itching around the base of the tail and rectal region. The jumping and jittery feeling is likely due to pain and discomfort from the glands.

I

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peanut. How is everything going?