Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 8 week old puppy is acting very weird jerking her head

Customer Question

My 8 week old puppy is acting very weird jerking her head from side to side, up and down, as if she is seeing things she can't sit still and moves about a foot and sits down and she's whiny and she's glued to my legs . I'm almost wondering if she could have gone blind
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Has she had any vaccinations?

Any discharge from the eyes or nose?

If so what color is it?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any coughing?

How long have you had her?

JaCustomer,

I was hopeing to get a response back from you before answering. The behavior or your puppy seems to be neurological in nature. This might be indicative of a disease that attacks the nervous system such as distemper, or may be symptoms of seizure activity which can occur when a dog is small and for one reason or another doesn't eat. You can read more on distemper below and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

http://www.banfield.com/pet-health-resources/preventive-care/vaccinations/canine-distemper

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2102&aid=419

Another cause for a dog to be looking around suddenly and jerking like you describe could be an issue with the eyes though I would suspect a corneal ulceration. An ulceration can leave a spot on the eye and the dog sees it just barely and keeps moving their head in order to try and see it clearer but since it is a spot on the eye, no amoutn of moving the head allows them to see it easier. This can make a dog a little anxious as well. An ulceration can be from scratching the eye or a branch from a bush hitting the eye or even from an eyelash. Some breeds can also be prone to retinal detachment as well. Read more on that here.

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/retinal-dysplasia-in-dogs.html

At her age, I'd have your vet take a quick look and ensure her vaccinations are up to date.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.