Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

We have a female spayed dog, she is three years old and I

Customer Question

Hi Jane my name is ***** ***** have a female spayed dog, she is three years old and I have noticed in the last month that she has had stringy discharge from her vagina, and today it is a green mucous. She also has on two occassions while sleeping she has just wet herself and not even realised. I'm just wondering what this is from. Thankyou so much :)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

A spayed dog should not be having a greenish discharge at all. It is likely to be a vaginal infection called vaginitis. You can read about vaginitis here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1629&articleid=929

Since she is also having some incontinence as well, I'd have the vet check for a urinary tract infection since that is a likely cause. Read about UTI's here;
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2114&aid=3572

It isn't unusual for a spayed dog to develop a UTI especially if the vulva is recessed leading to more bacteria in the area. I'd try and get her seen as soon as possible so she can start treatment which is probably going to be antibiotics.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.