Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 15 month old 8 lb Coton found a 200 mg ibuprophen 25

Customer Question

My 15 month old 8 lb Coton found a 200 mg ibuprophen 25 hours ago and we caught her, looks like she might have ingested maybe 1/8 of the pill before we got it away from her. She shows no symptoms. Could she still be poisoned? Is it too late to do anything for her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Melissa,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Melissa

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Good news! I would very much doubt if you have much to worry about here, Ibuprofen is not the best drug in the world for the owner to use in an undirected fashion but it is prescribed by vets from time to time, in that case a dose rate of up to 4 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight is used, in your dog's case this works out at as a top dose of 32 mg.

2. If she swallowed 1/8 of a 200 mg tablet then this works out at 25 mg which is well within the prescribing guidelines so clearly there is no cause for concern, your dog should be just fine and there are no special measures you need take.

3. You can can confirm how this drug is used in the dog and check the above dose rates via this link : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Melissa,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Ibuprofen incident

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?