Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Have a 9mo old German Shepard puppy that hasn't eaten or

Customer Question

Have a 9mo old German Shepard puppy that hasn't eaten or drank for 5 days. Abdominal pain and now is walking gingerly on hind legs? No fever, no vomiting, no diarrhea
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm so sorry to hear that Bear has been having these issues - I know that i can be frustrating when your vet is having trouble figuring out what's happening. I'll do my best to help.

I'm glad to hear that Bear has been evaluated by a specialist (at least it looks like you've seen a neurologist based on your description). That lack of appetite for five days duration is definitely not something that I'd expect to see with prostatitis - I'd be worried that there's something more going on. If blood work was normal, that's a good start. X-rays can be a very insensitive way of determining if there's a spinal problem, as they don't show us the soft tissues like the intervertebral discs. In a young dog with hind end weakness (you said gingerly - not sure if you're really seeing weakness) another possibility would be infectious diseases like neospora/toxoplasma or other meningitis or spinal infections. A spinal tap would be the way your vet is headed if they suspected one of these things. More advanced imaging like an MRI might be recommended as well if the hind limb issues progress. If you live in an area where there are a lot of ticks, the vet may also run tick titers to see if he's been infected by a tick borne disease like lyme disease or rocky mountain spotted fever. The chances of these vary significantly by geography, so your vets would know better what is common in your area.

Unfortunately, anorexia (not eating) is the most vague symptom that a pet can show, meaning that it can be caused by a very lengthy list of diseases. It sounds like you're already in the care of a specialty hospital, which is always my recommendation for "mystery" cases. A large referral hospital is much more likely to have an idea what is happening than a general practitioner like those of us who staff this site. Please let me know what more information I can provide for you or what questions I can answer. It sounds like he's a complicated case - I'd be happy to continue chatting.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)