Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Our dog is 2. She had surgery on her ACL about 5 months ago.

Customer Question

hi, Our dog is 2. She had surgery on her ACL about 5 months ago. She is extremely over weight because of that, she also has anxiety and fearful to walk outside. Lately, she is panting a lot, and her stomach is really hard. She is a mix, Wheaton terrier and beagle. She weighs 75 pounds. I have her on a strict diet, to try to lose weight.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I can answer your questions this evening. Just to confirm, is your question about her reluctance to go outside for exercise?

Is she still on pain medication such as anti-inflammatories? Obesity can cause generalized inflammation and joint pain, so she may need to stay on a medication such as carprofen for an extended period of time while you are working on weight loss.
Have you checked her for other metabolic diseases that can make weight loss difficult such as Cushing's disease or Low thyroid?

Is she having any vomiting or diarrhea? Could her abdomen be painful tonight?

What prescription diets have you tried for weight loss? Science Diet, Purina and Royal Canin all make nice diets that are calorie restricted for weight loss.

Please let me know the answers to the questions so that I can help Maizy this evening.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Maizy this morning? Were you able to try giving her some pain medication to see if that helped her?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda