How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16402
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 13 yo 95pound collie-rottie mix is losing strength in s

Customer Question

My 13 yo 95pound collie-rottie mix is losing strength in his hind end. Sometimes can't get up on his own. But still in good spirits. Blood work in September showed normal TSH with a free T4 of less than 0.3, with 0.6 being the lower limit of normal. Past history of pheochromocytoma. Had surgery to remove it. His vet does not want to treat his low thyroid because of normal tsh. I would like him to try thyroid medication to see if his strength might improve. My question: is it reasonable for me to get a second opinion to try to get him on meds? Or will most vets probably say no to meds? It is hard for him to get in the car, so I hate to take him out if the answer will likely be no. Is there any down side to trying medication?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today.

If this were me, I'd definitely get a second opinion.

At 13 years old, I could see your normal vet not wanting to do something horribly invasive, but adding some thyroid meds...which can be really, really low dosed (my dog is on 0.1mg) doesn't seem like it would be out of the realm of possibility....especially since we obviously know that your dog is very geriatric, so keeping him more comfortable for whatever time he has left would be the most important thing to consider.

I've worked at several vet clinics, and I can't imagine if any of them would have said no to such a reasonable suggestion....so yes, if this were me, I'd definitely have him seen by a different vet....just for a second option.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to ask this, but are you a veterinarian? I thought I had requested a vet
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'm not a vet, but I'm a licensed veterinary technician...who has worked in a busy multi-vet practice and a high volume spay/neuter clinic for the last 10 years or so.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'm also lucky enough to be having a crafting date with a veterinarian tonight who I consulted with about your question...so you sort of got two for the price of one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I am sorry, i specifically wanted a veterinarian. The website said my question would be answered by Dr. Gary, an emergency vet. I don't understand how this happened.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'll opt out and see if someone picks it up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Sorry for the confusion

Related Dog Questions