Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

11 month old dog ate subutex 2mg, clonazepam 1 mg and about

Customer Question

11 month old dog ate subutex 2mg, clonazepam 1 mg and about 1/2 Adderall approx. 1 hour ago, I gave her 2 doses of peroxide she did not vomit.She did a large bowel movement. She is trying to sleep now
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Roughly how heavy is your dog { In pounds } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 53-55 lbs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is wobbly,drooling alittle, lifts her head looks at me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not short of breath, but taking more breaths than usual
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm so worried are you there?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. It is very much a plus point that you have a larger dog, in my experience the Clonazepam and the Adderall anre not going to have much effect on a dog of your one's size at that dose rate. So no problems there, these drugs may make your dog a little lethargic bit that's about it.

2. However the Subutex (buprenorphine) is another matter, this drug is rarely used in dogs so I have no information on what a toxic dose is likely to be but an overdose would cause such symptoms as diarrhea and vomiting, hypersalivation, seizures, depression, tremors, a drunken walk, disorientation, difficulty breathing or coma. As your dog is starting to show these symptoms then this is a cause for concern ...

3. What to do about it? : As inducing vomiting was unsuccessful and symptoms are indeed starting and the toxicity levels of buprenorphine are uncertain in the dog the best advice I can give you is that you take your dog to an ER vet without delay. You vet may give activated charcoal, perhaps get her on IV fluids, and there is a drug called called cyproheptadine can reverse the effects of buprenorphine toxicity { serotonin syndrome }

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the drugs he had access to.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.