Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 7 y/o female labradoodle has been urinating while laying

Customer Question

Hi my 7 y/o female labradoodle has been urinating while laying down. The strange thing is she divides time between my house and my exes. I moved to a high rise apartment after we divorced. She never urinates when she's at my exes house only when she's at my apratment. Is it possible that she is urinatimg while laying down because she's anxious at my place?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long has she been doing this?

How long have you been in the apartment?

Is she spayed?

Is the urine normal smelling?

Is it the normal color?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I moved here a year ago. She does it periodically. I usually have her every 2-3 weeks for a couple weeks at a time. Sometimes it will happen a couple days and then not at all. She is spayed. There are a lot of dogs in the building, and I think the previous tenants had dogs. Sometimes I will have just taken her out to go pee and she will do this strange panting thing and then if I leave I come back and there's pee everywhere. Little puddles and her tail and legs will be soaked. It's pretty colorless and odorless.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To clarify I will take her out, she will go and then when we come back the panting and peeing
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since your dog is a 7 year old spayed female, I actually think what you're seeing is urinary incontinence.

The urination you describe...when she's laying down...that comes and goes...and that she seems to have no control over tells me that it's very likely that we are dealing with incontinence, but just to make sure, you should have her seen by her vet for a quick check up...just to rule out things like urinary tract infections or other issues of the urinary tract.

If that all comes back clear, then it's likely we're dealing with incontinence. If that's the case, then it might be a good idea to talk to your vet about getting her started on a medication made for dogs with this issue. Two of the biggies are DES and Proin.

More information on DES can be found here: http://www.marvistavet.com
/html/body_diethylstilbestrol__des_.html

You can read more about Proin here:

http://www.petcarerx.com/catalog/productdetails.aspx?pid=10909&k=proin-phenylpropanolamine

Usually using one of these meds will get this under control.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it odd that it only happens when she's staying with me?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Not particularly. Since the urine is usually colorless and odorless, it's possible she does it at the other house as well, but perhaps he just doesn't notice.