Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a 12 year old Aussie. She would get travelers

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old Aussie. She would get travelers diarrhea in the past at 8-10 years of age and gave her 1 mg loperamide (Imodium). Yesterday she had diarrhea again and we are in a motorhome in a humid climate (we live in the desert) and I picked up a generic Imodium and ended up giving her 2 mg. She got very tired and no appetite. She ate her treat only, Today, she ate her treat in the morning, no dog food so gave her toast, some chicken, and she drank water, but she is fatigued, listless, and her back legs are weak. She has a hard time getting up and once up can walk slowly only. Was has happened to her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years.

Some herding breeds can have a reaction to imodium if they carry the MDR1 mutation. Read more on this here:

http://vcpl.vetmed.wsu.edu/problem-drugs

I would have to advise you have her seen given she seems to be having a reaction. Even if she does not carry the gene, she is experiencing symptoms that might be related to organ failure and she is a senior dog.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

You might want to read this article.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2004.tb00145.x/pdf

I'm just following up on our conversation about Deanna. How is everything going?