Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We bred our dog this morning 4 or 5 hours ago and s penis

Customer Question

We bred our dog this morning 4 or 5 hours ago and his penis won't go back in
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear your dog is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. This is a situation which happens now and again and the technical term for it is paraphimosis, the usual problem is that he is unable to retract his foreskin because of his recent erection. The trapped foreskin can prevent blood flow from the penis and swelling can occur thus making it more difficult for things to return to normal.

1. The first thing to try is to gently lubricate the shaft of the penis, use a lubricant gel if you have access to any, or just lots of soap and water and gently try to retract and unroll the foreskin back to it's normal position.

2. Another approach is to make up a warm saturated sugar solution and place the dog's penis in it if this is possible say using a large container, otherwise just poultice the penis with the solution using kitchen paper soaked in the solution, but saturate the whole area. This very often works because of an osmosis effect of the sugar, you have to do this for about twenty minutes though.

3. However if you cannot resolve the situation by the above common sense sorts of means then you should have your vet take a look as soon as possible before permanent damage occurs as is possible if the penis is extruded for any length of time.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his penis problem.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.