Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I'm really worried about my West ghland terrier. She keeps

Customer Question

I'm really worried about my West highland terrier. She keeps getting diarrea and straining to go to the toilet
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

How long has this been going on?

Has there been any vomiting?

Has the dog been eating and drinking normally?

Has Millie eaten any non food items such as toys, bones, rawhides, greenies?

Has Millie eaten any human food, if so what?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Several weeks off and on Sally. Yes Millie has been vomiting too. She hasn't been eating as well as normal worryingly. She seems to be drinking more. As far as I know she hasn't eaten any foreign objects. She's had chicken and rice which I thought may help but the diarrea seems to have got worse. Millie seems a bit quieter today.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. The fact that she is vomiting as well as having diarrhea and not eating normally does suggest something is wrong and it is not your typical 48 hour virus. What you are describing are symptoms of a blockage and that can come from any non food item including grass eating.

I know this may not be what you want to hear bet a physical at this time is strongly recommended because the symptoms can be one of many things. Parasite or protazoa can cause what you are seeing as well.

She is probably drinking more because she is feeling dehydrated from the vomiting and diarrhea. Try to add some children's pedialyte to the water to help keep her hydrated/

I would be checking her gums and other vital signs at home and looking for fever. I am going to find a link that will take you though that

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

What is Normal in dogs

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

If there has been no change of food, which can cause this if done too fast, and since it has been going on for a couple of weeks it is time to have your vet take a look.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

In looking up your breeds prone illnesses I see they are prone to Chronic active Hepatitis which would also show signs of vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite and excessive drinking. So you do want to be sure what you are dealing with as it is beyond the point of what you can do or have done at home.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/chronic-active-hepatitis-cah-in-dogs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Millie's just passed some blood and mucus . Checked her gums and the return rate is less than a second back to normal colour
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I would take her to an emergency vet

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Calling now. Oh Sally I'm so scared
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hang in there and keep me posted.