Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 13 year old basset has blood coming out of s mouth. I

Customer Question

My 13 year old basset has blood coming out of his mouth. I think it's a abscess that was on his gum. I don't want to put him to sleep for dental work. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Is his mouth still bleeding?

Can you actually see where the blood is coming from?

When was the last time he saw his vet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His mouth has stopped bleeding for now. He sees the vet on a regular basis. He has had dental work several times but he has horrible teeth. No matter what I do, he builds up significant tartar on his teeth. I feel he is too old to put to sleep any longer. He is in good health otherwise. A little blind and hard of hearing, but he does well. He is sleeping and breathing fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He wouldn't let me check his mouth to see where it was coming from. I think his gum area
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since he has a history of dental issues, if this were me, I'd give your vet a call and see if they'll send out some antibiotics and possibly some pain medication to help him feel more comfortable.

If this is truly an abscessed tooth then they'd want to get that infection cleared up before they did any sort of procedure, and they likely agree that he's too old to put under anesthesia, but they'll likely have no problem sending out antibiotics to help him feel better.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kimberly S Walters. How is everything going?
Lisa