Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

What is the best brush Tzu dog?

Customer Question

what is the best brush for shih Tzu dog?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

With the long hair of a Shih Tzu , your best bet would be a couple of tools. You will want a slicker brush to get through the long coat, and you will want a detangler/stripper/dematting tool to get through knots.

Even though you may brush Charlie every day , the fur may still get knots.

The Safari dematting comb works well, this not only combs but also demats.

http://www.amazon.com/Safari-W6116-Safari%C2%AE-De-matting-Comb/dp/B0002ARR2W/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1448052663&sr=1-3&keywords=shih+tzu+brush

A large tooth spaced metal comb will also help make the strands easier to comb out. Similar to what humans use when they get a hair perm, a small tooth comb would not get through that so they use a pick.

You also want to add a dog de-tangler that you can spray on to help de-tangle and keep it de-tangled. Below is a link to a condtioner de tangler http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Conditioner-Proprietary-Detangling-Long-Haired/dp/B00U1K24KS/ref=sr_1_13?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1448052663&sr=1-13&keywords=shih+tzu+brush

The Furminator is not the best tool for a dog like this as it mostly gets the loose top coat. If you are looking to get at an under coat then I would use a Mars Coat King

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?
Sally G.