Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 14 year old large dog who has neurological issues s

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old large dog who has neurological issues his back legs cross over and his toes drag. He was at the vet several times over the last several months. Now he doesn't seem to have the strength to sit up or stand. He just lays around. I noticed when I stand him up that one of his front feet will turn under. He eats and drinks water and he can urinate and eliminate normally.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with George. When the front legs also are involved in the neurologic process we need to consider a progressive myelopathy such as degenerative myelopathy - a Lou Gehrig-type of neuropathy, the more common intervertebral disk disease arising in his cervical (neck) spinal cord, or (less likely) encephalopathy (brain disorder). We're necessarily constrained by how much we can do for patients such as George. When prednisone fails, other antiinflammatory medications - the nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as carprofen or meloxicam - can be tried but George's prognosis for meaningful improvement must remain poor. I believe that you're going to have a difficult decision to make in the near future.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your input. He did pass this weekend on his own

You're quite welcome. My condolences for your loss of George.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.