Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog had a very sudden p pain and back leg issue within 24

Customer Question

My dog had a very sudden hip pain and back leg issue within 24 hours and now she can't even get up. I took her to the vet today and it's not lymes disease and was prescribed anti inflammatory. But after a couple of hours of her being home she can't even get up. What could be the issue? She is about 12 years old but just last week we were walking out long paths as usual.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I'm so sorry to hear that Mezy isn't doing well. Poor kid. Hopefully I can give you some insight into what's going on with her. Can you give me a little more information?

1) During her visit today, were any xrays taken of her hips or legs?

2) Has she sustained any injuries in her youth as trauma, such as being hit by a car?

3) What NSAID was prescribed today? Does she take any other medications?
4) When you say that she cannot rise, does she bend her legs in an attempt to get them under her and fail or are her rear legs either limp or stiff and she cannot bend them to put them in the right spot?

5) Does she currently appear painful? If you were to use a towel or sheet as a sling and raise her rear end off the ground, is she then able to ambulate?

This additional info will help me to give you the most concise answer.