Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My 2 1/2 yr old rescue Westie has started licking &gnawing

Customer Question

My 2 1/2 yr old rescue Westie has started licking &gnawing front paws &I they look like a red/rust colour. His hind legs also but nothing like as bad. I don't know much of his history as he was rescued from a puppy farm I'm Ireland last Feb. I have only had him6 months so I'm still finding odd behaviour that can't be explained. Should I bathe his feet??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years and am trained in pet first aid for aiding animals in disasters.

The licking of the paws coincides with airborne allergies which for dogs and people has been a very bad year for. The rust color you see is due to the saliva of the dog.

Here is more on seasonal or airborne allergies

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/features/seasonal-allergies-and-your-pet

You can try over the counter Benadryl, for some dogs it works, but there is a new prescription med called Apoquel that usually works in days for the dog. The only thing is, it can be expensive. If you have dog insurance in place for the dog then they will cover the medication.

If you can to help the dog wipe down the coat after each outing with a damp cloth to remove outside allergens from the dog's coat. Try to limit outings in case it is an outside airborne allergy you are dealing with such as a rag weed type plant. Inside the home dogs can be allergic to dust and dust mites which is a common house problem. For that you can try running an air purifier in the room where the dog stays.

Allergies cannot be cured, they can only be managed.

dosing for benadryl http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl