Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 6 week old puppy was vaccinated first time today and

Customer Question

My 6 week old puppy was vaccinated for the first time today and treated for worm. When I brought her home she seemed to get a little car sick and was heaving but did not throw up. She has been very sleepy and seems to twitch in her sleep is this normal for post vaccinations
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomers,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Many dogs tend to get a little car sick. If she didn't vomit you were ahead of the game. She'll probably be much better as she gets older. Many pups have no reactions but some do have reactions to vaccinations. Common reactions are a mild fever, decreased appetite, and depression. Some dogs experience a swelling at the injection site. This should resolve itself without the need for vet care.

Severe reactions are sudden onset of diarrhea, vomiting, swelling of the face and non-responsiveness. If these signs occur you should contact your vet immediately. Your vet may recommend benadryl at up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/allergic-reaction-to-vaccines-in-dogs/page1.aspx

At 6 weeks of age, she is going to sleep the majority of time. Puppies also twitch quite often when they sleep. It is normal behavior for puppies and not just post vaccination. You will find that pups even bark in their sleep and run as well, so don't be surprised if the pups legs take off.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

Hi Becca,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?