Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My basset hound has an upset stomach and has been throwing

Customer Question

My basset hound has an upset stomach and has been throwing up. She ate some fried chicken strips at lunch left overs. We don't usually let her have them. It was a mistake badge got them today can she have ginger ale ?? Would that help her stomach ??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

hi JaCustomer,

I wouldn't give her ginger ale. You can try some pepto-bismol. The dosage is 1 tsp per 5 lbs every 6 hours. Give it 30-45 minutes to work then offer very small portions of boiled chicken and rice. A 1/4 cup is too much. Start with a tablespoon and give it an hour. If it stays down you can give another tablespoon.

However, she may be starting with pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is a gland that produces and releases enzymes into the digestive track that aid in the digestion of food. When these same enzymes are activated while they are still in the pancreas, inflammation occurs and the enzyme start "digesting" the pancreas itself.

Some common causes of pancreatitis are eating a lot of very fatty foods, obesity, steroid use and other diseases and conditions. Symptoms of pancreatitis vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weakness or collapse, dehydration, shock, fever, depression, and upper abdominal pain. A dog may indicate abdominal pain by acting restless, panting, crying or wincing when picked up, shaking, standing with an arched back, or lying with the front end down and the rear end elevated. You can read about it in detail here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The treatment for pancreatitis varies. Most vets will withhold food for 6-12 hours and then offer small portions of bland food like the chicken and rice if it seems to be just starting. If the dog is already vomiting and having diarrhea, etc, they will frequently treat with IV's to keep the dog hydrated and give the system a break. So my recommendation would be to withhold food for now and try small portions in the morening. It wouldn't hurt to give pepto in the morning first. If additional symptoms develop or she is still unable to hold food down then I would have her seen by your vet and tested.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

I'm not sure if it took the rating part. Let me see if it is there or not with this post.