Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dachsund is gulping and swallowing rapidly, he has tried

Customer Question

My dachsund is gulping and swallowing rapidly, he has tried to eat bits off a cushion and has been licking the sofa all unusual for him. He is three. He had one seizure in the summer due to overheating we think but not sure what to do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing these signs?

Any gagging, retching, or vomiting?

Is he drinking? Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr B but I ended up taking Scrappy to my veterinary surgeon as he was getting more distressed. He has been like this since the early hours of the morning. The Vet said basically he has a sore throat and possibly kennel cough, he has been given medication (Metacalm and Antibotics) and is comfortable just now. He ate his breakfast this morning and has now had a drink of water and is urinating etc... ok. He has not vomited, his gums ARE nice and pink and moist. No discomfort in his belly. No diarrhea (but will keep an eye for this). He is not given bones or rawhide or anything which might cause a problem but he IS an outdoor dog and goes to the stables each day with my daughter. You never know what they are in at sometimes! The vet said his throat was red-raw and akin to us having tonsillitis, to keep him quiet and away from other dogs for now. Thanks for your assistance, havent used this service before but may do in the future (we have four cats as well). Thank you anyway, xxxxxx xxxxxxxx
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

No worries, my dear.

I am glad to hear that he has been seen and that he is hopefully on the mend now that he has been treated.

Since we didn't have a chance to discuss his situation, I shall pass your question back to customer service.

Take care & best wishes to you both,

Dr. B