PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My mini Aussie has puss like bumps on s tail. He seems in

Customer Question

My mini Aussie has puss like bumps on his tail. He seems in discomfort keeps scratching and biting at them.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kayla, I'm sorry to hear that Phinn is having this problem. Are you able to share a photo of what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached a photo of his docked tail you can see the bumps

Thanks for the picture. Is this location ON his tail or at the end where it was docked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the actual tail but it's like the nub where it was docked.

There are a few things that could be going on here.

To start, this looks like this is a small abscess. It's not uncommon for pets to get small punctures to their skin and form abscesses. Fortunately, this one is small. If you have a pair of human or pet clippers (such as you'd shave someone's head with), you can clip the fur back. This will make it easier to clean and to keep clean. Use a soap like Savon to clean the area, using warm water and a wash cloth. The area may break open and ooze, it may stay closed. Clean the area twice daily, continue as long as needed until healed. Once clean, pat dry. You can apply neosporin after each cleaning. If the area continues to grow or looks worse, you will need to see your vet to have antibiotics prescribed.

Something to keep in the back of your mind if this is recurrent is that sometimes dogs have problems with their docked tails and may form abscesses there because of this. There's usually an abnormality under the skin and may encompass the bone that is there from the tail. It may be necessary for your vet to obtain xrays of this area to determine if there is something underlying causing the problem. If indicated, a future surgery may be needed.

If my answer has helped you, please rate my response. If I can help you further, please reply. You will still be able to reach me after leaving a rating.

Hi Kayla. Just checking in to see how Phinn's tail is looking.