Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Pug was congested and now is panting

Customer Question

Pug was congested and now is panting
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I need to know more about Bocceball's "congestion". Are you referring to nasal, throat, or lower respiratory (lungfields) congestion? Has the cause of this congestion been determined? Was it treated? If so, did it improve? In general, a respiratory rate greater than 40 breaths per minute at rest is worrisome and should prompt having Bocceball's chest auscultated (listend to) and X-rayed.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet thought bocce has allergies. I assumed the nasal congestion was due to allergies. I did on a few occasions give him Benadryl which seemed to help. Tonight he seemed to have more for lack if a better word "snot" in his nose. And more nasal discharge which was not allowing his the breath they his nose so he was breathing thru his mouth He then started to pant. You could see he was stressed about having to breath thru mouth. Any suggestions to get rid of all the "snot"

Thank you for the additional information. While an allergic rhinitis (inflammation inside the nasal cavities) is certainly possible, please note that older dogs such as Bocceball more often become congested due to neoplasia (cancer, inflammatory polyps) or dental disease instead. His teeth should be carefully examined - dental X-rays are necessary to assess the teeth roots - and his nose should be scoped and any abnormal tissue seen should be biopsied. To answer you directly, yes you can continue dosing with an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at a dose of 1-2 mg/lb every 12 hours and you can instill nasal saline drops into his upturned nose every few hours. You can also drop a drop or two of phenylephrine nasal drops into each nostril every 8 hours but you must avoid similar decongestant drugs (phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine, e.g.) given orally as they have a very narrow range of safety in dogs.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bocceball. How is everything going?