petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My beagle has stopped eating. He is 10+ years old. He is

Customer Question

My beagle has stopped eating. He is 10+ years old. He is obese. He is moving slower than normal. I am trying to decide to take him to the vet or give it another day. He I snot making any noise and when I have pressed on hist stomach and hips, he is not showing any discomfort.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Can you tell me how long he has not been eating?

Is he still producing stool and urine?

Is he still drinking?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has ate little 48 hours ago. but nothing in the last 24
Is he still producing stool and urine?
he has not produced stool in the last 36 hours; longer for no urine
Is he still drinking?
he has stopped drinking
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

The lack of appetite is less worrisome than the fact he in not drinking. Most likely the lack of stool is due to not eating, but the lack of urine can be an indicator of dehydration. If he is not drinking and is dehydrated, that will contribute to his anorexia and you may have a harder time getting him to eat on his own until that is corrected. It needs to be determined also what started the anorexia in the first place and correct that if possible. The fact that he is moving slowly may indicate pain, even if you are not noting any when you press on him. Some dogs are very stoic. His anorexia may be due to a metabolic problem like kidney or liver malfunction and in such cases, only bloodwork would indicate that.

I would definitely recommend that you have him examined soon and not wait too much longer. The sooner the problem is identified, the better chance of resolving it.

Good luck with him.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be discussed or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.