Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog fell off the bed in the middle of the night and how

Customer Question

My dog fell off the bed in the middle of the night and how he is walking sideways? He potty's ok. He wouldn't eat unless I hand feed him. He won't lay down. It seems he wants to keep his head back looking up all the time.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Did this happen last night?

If you press along his spine, does he act painful anywhere?

Is his head tilted at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it happened about 1:30 am pacific time. I have pressed on his whole body and it doesn't seem to hear anywhere. His head is not tilted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oops hurt anywhere not hear
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It's hard to say what is going on, but since he did have a fall last night, I'm tempted to believe that he may have a soft tissue injury or a pulled muscle of some sort.

Since he's going to the bathroom normally and holding his head at a funny angle, I think that this injury is probably located somewhere in his neck, but of course, without being able to see him, it's impossible to know for sure.

If this were me, I'd just monitor him for a day and see if it resolves with rest. If he's still acting oddly tomorrow, or if he gets worse during the day today, then I'd give your vet a call and have them take a peek at him, just to be on the safe side, but if this is a little pulled muscle, it'll resolve on it's own.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it is ok to leave him alone while I go to work today?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I think that's fine, but if it's possible, I'd keep him contained somewhere. If he ever uses a crate, then you could keep him in a crate, or if there's a room you can keep him in, that would be best so that he doesn't hurt himself more trying to jump onto or off of things while you're gone.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ollie. How is everything going?
Lisa