Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog is in labor.. since yesterday. She finally delivered

Customer Question

My dog is in labor.. since yesterday. She finally delivered the first one which is still born. Black and green liquid came out. that was around two hours ago. Now shes trying to push another one out. continuously pushing.. now its blood like shes in heat.. what should i do. My last dog pregnancy didnt go like this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. I've been breeding longer than that. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

However, unfortunately, I have to tell you that she really should be seen by your vet. The fat that it took so long for her to pass the first pup and that it was still born indicates that she has been in labor a long time and the pup was likely stuck in the birth canal for an extended period of time. The problem with this is that it can affect the pups that were behind the first pup and if left too long can affect their viability as well. Dogs do have bleeding with labor so that isn't so unusual. The black ang green liquid was likely the placenta separating and when that happens you should see a pup seen within about 30 minutes. Since it has been 2 hours, this pup may not be viable either or could also be too large to be delivered. If this pup has been delivered by the time you get this response, monitor her closely.

If she goes longer than an hour between this pup and the next, I urge you to have her seen as soon as possible then. If she was my dog, I'd probably have her seen now as after that long of a labor she may be starting to experience uterine inertia. Here are some sites that go over dfficult labors.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/dystocia-difficult-birth-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1628&articleid=899

Here is another article on dystocia.
http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/article/dystocia-diagnosis-management?96m5sri9MY

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.