Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a border collie, that I adopted in July. I have 2

Customer Question

I have a border collie, that I adopted in July. I have 2 other dogs. I was out of town and put them in the Doggie Spa, in separte kennels. I picked the BC up this am and he ran to my closet and will not come out. Wont eat. I pick the other dogs up tomorrow.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

The first thing I would do is let the kennel know so you have a record within a certain amount of time. The second thing I would do is ask them if anything unusual happened to the dog.

I would also make a vet appointment for a thorough check over.

From a behavior standpoint:

Because the dog was only adopted recently it may be that the kennel had a negative connotation to him. Many dogs when they come home from kennels, no matter how nice the place, it is very stressful and they are people shy or they are the opposite, they become very clingy.

I would put the food and water as well as the dog's bed near the closet and give him time to decompress from the situation before you have the other dogs around him.