Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Miniature schnauzer a few months from second bladder surgery

Customer Question

miniature schnauzer a few months from second bladder surgery to to remove stones. Recently showing signs of incontinence and some licking. Gets many trips outside and is on appropriate food with no treats. Thinking about another trip to vet unless I learn something different here.
She had to pass a pea sized stone a few years ago. Once we realized the issue, went to vet and had surgery to remove quite a bit of residue in bladder. Recovered quite well, but did not stick with diet and keep her away from treats. (She gets outside to the woods, so hard to stop the diet on voles, etc.... This year, bladder stone recurrence, twice size of pea, not passed. Surgery and removal of residue as well from bladder. Never a previous incontinence problem. Since second surgery, we've followed the program. Recently, last month, she will lie down and suddenly have a tablespoon of dribble when she starts to get up. She has begun licking herself more now, indicating to me possible irritation in the ure
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about your girl. It absolutely sounds like she is having some irritation causing her to leak some urine. But you want to rule out a bacterial infection that can commonly occur after situations like this. So it is best to have her urine checked again with a urinalysis and sediment and even a culture and sensitivity to know if there is bacteria and exactly what antibiotic would be the right one to use. Then once that is cleared monitor for continue leakage. If she has no urinary tract infection then it is possible that the surgeries and stones have caused some incontinence and a medication such as DES or proin would help her improve. But infection has to be ruled out first. So discuss testing with your vet then appropriate treatment. Your vet will probably be willing to start by just looking at her urine and not having to take her in.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Basically confirms my thoughts as well. I'll make the appointment.

You are very welcome. please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I am happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you