Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I just noticed my pregnant shih Tzu has fleas she is within

Customer Question

I just noticed my pregnant shih Tzu has fleas she is within a couple days of whelping looking to help her
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

This is the perfect time to get her flea free before whelping. Your first step will be getting your dog on a flea preventative to get the fleas off of your dogs if they are not on it already. The second table on this chart gives you a couple of choices for a dog that is pregnant or lactating.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_flea_product_comparison.html

If that is not an option or in addition to that, washing your dog in dawn dishwashing liquid, leaving the lather on for 15 minutes before rinsing will kill the fleas. It will not kill the eggs though. So you will need to repeat unless you get your dog on a preventative. The second step will be ridding the environment of them.

There are quite a few house sprays available to control fleas in the house. I've used Flea Stop but any that include a growth inhibitor should do the job pretty well. Cutting a piece from a flea collar and adding it to your vacuum bag will kill any fleas that you vacuum up and prevent them from escaping back into the house. Vacuum every day for at least a month to get all the fleas and eggs out of the carpets.

You can also treat the yard if you wish with food grade Diatomaceous earth, which helps kill them in the yard without poisons. This can also be used in carpets as well. You can read more about that here.

http://www.petloveshack.com/fleacontrol.html

I'd suggest bathing her as soon as possible just in case she goes into labor early.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

I forgot to mention that usually I often won't use any medication on a pregnant female even if it is rated as ok just to be on the safe side, however, you are so close to whelping that it is unlikely to cause any problems.