Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

How to clip lulus nails

Customer Question

How to clip lulus nails
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** dog nails, we do always want to do so with care to avoid any injury. Specifically, when clipping, we only remove the hook or tip of the nail. We don't want to go further up the nail as we do not want to cut into the pink nail bed. This is also known as the "quick" and where all their nerves and blood vessels are located. So, cutting there would be painful for Lulu. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I do want to include a video for you to watch. This one is quite good as it includes diagrams of where not to cut but ends with a live demonstration on how to do so. You can find this HERE. Finally, when doing this, do make sure to have silver nitrate (ie Kwik Stop) on hand so that you can stop any bleeds if you do cut into the nail bed by mistake.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )