Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 9 year old labradoodle. He has had a large cyst

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old labradoodle. He has had a large cyst like growth under the skin on his side for several years. It is slightly smaller than a golf ball. It has never bothered him. It has been soft and squishy to the touch. Last night it ruptured. It is oozing blood. I have tried to clean the wound clean with a wet rag. My dog is listless but alert. The area around the wound is sore and he is trembling. He is so sweet and gentle. He is drinking water but not eating. What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Once a neoplasm (cyst, tumor, or combination of the two) ruptures through the skin, you're necessarily constrained by how much you can do. Cleansing the area with mild soap and water is reasonable but these "growths" need to be surgically resected for complete resolution. They rarely can be addressed in a conservative manner with either oral drugs or topicals. analgesia at this time can be provided with aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily. Please have Merlin's vet attend to Merlin at your earliest convenience. It's unlikely that a growth present for such a lengthy period of time is dangerous but the sooner it's removed, the less likely it will become infected and present more of a challenge to remove without complications. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I wait to until tomorrow to take him to the vet since it is Sunday or should I take him to an emergency hospital now?The blood is oozing out of the wound but very slowly. Merlin is resting comfortably right now.

Please don't be alarmed. It's not an emergency. There shouldn't be any appreciable blood loss. Please gently cleanse the area every few hours.