Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My 11 year old pekingese pug has had a very hard stomach two

Customer Question

My 11 year old pekingese pug has had a very hard stomach for about two days now, and today could hardly move, and was having a particular hard time with her back legs. When it first started I didn't think much of it cus she has had problems before getting backed up because she got into something. But now I dint think that is the problem. She has gone poop three times today, and did not struggle. And is ok eating and drinking. I have the earliest vet appointment tomorrow morning. I am very worried.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear that your girl is not feeling well. My concern for your girl is that this hard stomach may be due to ascites developing in her abdomen and this can be caused by either liver disease or heart disease. It is very important that your vet run blood work and a EKG to determine the cause for this ascites or fluid in her abdomen and then they can treat according to the results to help your sweet girl past this. For now, give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs until she can see your vet. This will help make her comfortable.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****