Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 50lb vizsla ate a 5 mg amphetamine. (generic Ritalin not

Customer Question

My 50lb vizsla ate a 5 mg amphetamine. (generic Ritalin not extended release)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Robert,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below

1. Good news! : This is not such a serious incident since Ritalin { Methylphenidate } is sometimes prescribed for dogs for such things as hyperactive behaviour. A suitable dose rate would up to 0.25 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight given twice a day. This works out as a top dose of 12.5 mg for a dog of your one's weight.

2. Going from the above you can see that the 5 mg your dog took is well within the dosing guidelines so I would not expect to see any serious adverse effects and there is nothing special you need do in these circumstances.

3. You can confirm the above dose rate and read more on how this drug is used in dogs HERE

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Robert,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Ritalin incident.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is just fine. Thank you for your prompt answer. We will try not to drop any more medication.

Great news, thanks for the update,

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott