Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My yorkie has a red bump on s back. it doesnt bother m i

Customer Question

my yorkie has a red bump on his back. it doesnt bother him i just noticed it while i was petting him
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my yorkie has a red bump on his back that i just notice im worried about this bump. it does not bother him. can you tell me what it can possibly be
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Based on the photo, its recent appearance, and Snoopy's lack of discomfort; our main suspicions here would be a possible cyst, wart, or skin tag. An abscess or allergic reaction to an insect sting would also be possible but often those are sore to the touch. As well, we can see benign growths and some cancers appear in this manner, but these are less likely at his age.

Therefore, in this case, we'd want to monitor this lump for Snoopy. If you think, if there is any chance of a bee/spider/wasp sting or bite, then we can trial him on an antihistamine. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). A low dose(ie. 0.5mg per pound of body weight twice daily) is often enough to reduce these signs over a few days. We do usually like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). As well, of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Of course, if you try this but don't see it settled within 24 hours, then it does mean that we need to consider those other issues. In that case, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration(FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. Ift he remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear or blood stained fluid is removed, then a cyst was most likely and these tend to only need removal for cosmetic reasons. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the lump can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment.

Overall, if this lump is sudden in appearance, we would consider those initial concerns. Therefore, as long as it’s not painful or obviously draining pus, then you can try the above to rule out those aforementioned concerns. Otherwise, if this doesn’t settle or may have been present for longer then a day; then we’d want to have your vet sample this lump to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it for your wee one.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Snoopy. How is everything going?
nekovet