Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Dog is vomiting,drooling,sounds congested and has red eyes

Customer Question

No vet open now
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Fred isn't feeling well tonight. While it's not practically or legally possible for me to diagnose him online, I can offer you some information to help you decide if you should seek emergency care since your regular veterinarian isn't open right now.

When I see dogs that have a sudden onset of vomiting but are acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). Other diseases like kidney failure, liver disease, diabetes and cancer can also cause vomiting. These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies. Drooling is frequently seen in dogs who are nauseous.

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, or they are having frequent unproductive retching (dry heaving), then it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet.

Certainly in an older dog there could be something more severe going on, but you'll need to have him to the vet to really know for sure what's going on.

Red flags that indicate you should take your pet to the vet include pale gums, abdominal distention, repetitive nonproductive gagging or retching, a rectal temperature over 102.5, any sort of labored breathing, or a heart rate over 140 at rest.

Feel free to update me on how he's doing since you last posted and ask more questions

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)