Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Olde English Bulldoggie has had diarrhea with a little

Customer Question

My Olde English Bulldoggie has had diarrhea with a little blood earlier in this week. Today he woke with vomiting & diarrhea. Now I noticed he has blood in his urine. What can I be dealing with??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. The red blood in the stool is indicative of inflammation in the colon (colitis), which can definitely be due to a dietary change. With the vomiting, though, I would be more concerned that something more is going on, such as pancreatitis, liver problems or intestinal parasites. The blood in the urine is usually indicative of a urinary tract infection. That can occur if there was some bacteria from the diarrhea that ascended into the bladder. That is the most likely scenario, but there is still slight concern that there could be a blood clotting problem, though. I am assuming that what you had seen in the urine is actual blood and not just a red or orange tinged liquid? If it isn't obvious thick blood, I would still be concerned about the previously mentioned illnesses, but I would also be concerned the color change was from excessive hemoglobin from the destruction of red blood cells. Either way, since you have multiple organ systems involved (stomach, colon and urinary tract), I would highly recommend getting him seen by a vet today and not waiting until Monday, just in case something more serious is going on. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.