Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog is very sick with renal disease and although seemed a

Customer Question

my dog is very sick with renal disease and although seemed a little better, is now wasting away. We are feeding with syringe every 4 hours. What should we feed him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Jasper is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help I just have a few questions.

Has your vet discussed doing sub q fluids at home?

Any vomiting?

Is he eating at all, if so is it just the egg and liquid dog food( what type of dog food)?

Other then the transfer factor is he on any medications or supplements?

When was blood work done last and how long has he been in renal failure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jasper was hospitalized for 3 days last week, haven't discussed sub q fluids at home.
No vomiting.
Eating only by syringe, science diet special canned food.
He has doxycycline and benzapril prescribed, antacid and phosphate binder.
Blood work done a week ago, very active dog until 10 days ago.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

My state veterinary board prevents me from taking phone calls unless we have an established clinic patient relationship. Would you like to continue in this format or would you like me to opt out to see if someone else can take a call for you.

If you would like to continue can you tell me is he is eating willingly with the syringe or do you have to force it?

Is he getting the antacid twice daily and is he getting it before eating?

Have you tried anything other then the SD food?

If you touch his gums are they moist or dry/sticky?

Does your vet know what has caused the sudden kidney failure ( infection, toxin etc)

If you want me to opt out please let me know that as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are force feeding Jasper, but he is doing that willingly. He is a very ill dog, we know that. Thrombocytopenia was what he was hospitalized for and his condition is idiopathic.
He has had ups and downs in the past week, but is now somewhat more relaxed, albeit, much weaker as well.
He has a very strong will to live, and just wondering what types of foods to give him and I can call the pet hospital about the possibility of the the sub q fluids. It's always good to get advice!
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I see that the previous expert has opted out of your conversation but I'd like to help if I can.

I would like to clarify a few things first if you don't mind so that I can provide the best answer for you:

In your original question, you mention that Jasper has been diagnosed with renal disease but in your response back to Candy you mention Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia. I understand that it's possible for him to have more than one condition at a time but has he been diagnosed with both conditions?

Is the Science diet you're feeding him protein restricted such as K/D?

Since it looks as if you are currently offline, there may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.

Thanks for your patience. Deb