How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Candy Your Own Question
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 11613
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Candy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 5 lb chihuahua just ate a 5000 unit vitamin b6 capsule.

Customer Question

My 5 lb chihuahua just ate a 5000 unit vitamin b6 capsule. Is it poisonous to her
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear you are worried about Pea. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Thankfully Vit B is what is called a water soluble vitamin and anything the body does not use is excreted in the urine so there are no concerns of toxicity in this case.

She could have a little digestive upset but I doubt even that would happen and she should be just fine. Some Vitamins can be toxic so try to keep them out of her reach in the future.We even suggest that pets be in another rom when owners take their daily vitamins and or medication just in case one is dropped.

I hope this helps ease your mind. Please reply back if I can be of additional assistance. If you have no additional questions please take a few minutes to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you this morning.

Candy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry. It is vitamin D 3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or vitamin D
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

OK was this 5000 or 1000 IU, how long has it been since she ingested this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
30 min
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you. A dog this size would need to consume 20,000 IU of vit d for risk of toxicity so as long as it was only either a 1000IU or 5000 IU then this would be below the toxic levels and would not be a concern with a one time ingestion

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I have just been frantic. Have a blessed dat
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. I am glad I was able to help ease your mind, I know how scary it can be when they eat something they should not.

Give her a good pet from me and tell her I said no more vitamins for her.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pea. How is everything going?
Candy