Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 8 year old cocker spaniel is panting and very restless -

Customer Question

my 8 year old cocker spaniel is panting and very restless - She just can't lay still. this is the first time this has happened. She had surgery about 10 days ago to remove a cyst from her back leg but we took her to the vet yesterday for a bandage check and they said everything was fine. She also had blood work before the surgery and all was well. any ideas of what may be going on or how we can help her ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Sammy's behavior usually indicates anxiety or pain. Her normal blood work would appear to rule out internal medical disorders and so musculoskeletal pain would be most likely. In my experience, the pain often originates from the spine in a middle aged Cocker suffering from degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"). Supportive evidence of a disk includes vocalizing when approached or lifted, a change in posture - holding the neck stiffly and head lower to the ground or a "hunch" in the back - trembling/shaking (pain responses), reluctance to jump up or down or navigate steps, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming reclusive or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". It would be best to have Sammy's vet attend to her once again. Careful palpation of Sammy's spine might reveal the hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) associated with a disk. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.